Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Do You Read the News?

Okay, I'm exhausted. I don't know if it is allergies, a cold, the fact that I am rundown or what. I am not sleeping, don't feel well and, if you haven't picked up on this yet, I am kind of a baby about it. I just want to curl up in bed for a day and sleep this thing off.

But alas, that isn't to be!

So, tonight I am already in the bed, waiting for the Nyquil to kick in. I decide to spend a few minutes perusing the news, both local and national. And, all I can say is...

WOW.

Maybe we are just so desensitized in general that I don't usually notice the absolute craziness of the headlines we see on an average day. Maybe I am just so wiped that I am, for once, paying attention. Maybe the Nyquil is slowing my senses enough that the constant barrage of stimuli (work email, Facebook, personal email, news, etc.) isn't having its usual affect. Maybe the fact that my two-year-old is becoming a biter (you will realize the relevance of this in a sec) is hitting close to home. Who knows?

Headlines like "Man Bites Son's Eye Out,"(note my current predicament with my toddler), "Despondent Dads Kill Families" and "Baby Found in Sandbox" are right alongside "Who Should be the Next Idol" and "Why the GA/FLA Game Should Stay in Jax." I mean, YIKES!

I also noted one about a boy whose mother has disappeared with him because she does not want him to undergo chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma. This one hits particularly close to home as I am a survivor of Hodgkins myself, and while chemo/radiation and all of the testing involved is not pleasant, it works. What seemed awful at the time is now a relatively distant memory, and beyond the annual check-ups and the occasional oh-my-gosh-is-that-a-lump moments, I don't even think much about it. I hope the mother and the son are found and that all works out well for their family.

Maybe Grey's Anatomy from last week has made me a mushy mess?? Maybe I should just quit reading the news altogether??

Nah...definitely the Nyquil. But I am going to hug the family a little tighter in the morning.

Fall/Winter sneak peeks coming soon...I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment